There's still time to plan a GYSD service project! Here are 10 quick and easy GYSD Project Ideas that you still have time to do, even with only a few days to get ready.
- Host a Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry to help end childhood hunger, or host a lemonade stand to raise money for causes like curing childhood cancer.
- Collect food to donate to your local food bank.
Plant trees. For low-cost trees, order from the Arbor Day Foundation or contact your local extension service office or environmental organizations to see if there are local free tree programs.
- Pick up trash and clean up your neighborhood... organize a "Trash Mob" - a flash mob to pick up trash in a single location, like this one in Baltimore where 20 people cleaned up an empty lot in just 30 minutes.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle... and keep trash out of our water and landfills. Reach out to a local business and ask them to Be Straw Free and reduce the use and waste of disposable plastic straws. Or, Stow It Don't Throw It! Assemble and distributie personal-sized fishing line recycling bins to anglers and boaters while educating the public on sustainable fishing practices.
- Make blankets with Maddie's Blankets to donate - small blankets for animal shelters to use or large blankets for youth in foster care, shelters, or transitional housing.
- Collect and donate DVDs, stuffed animals, or books to donate to local hospitals, shelters, or emergency responders. You can send DVDs to Kid Flicks so they can send a movie library of 100 DVDs to every Children’s Hospital and Pediatric Department within the United States.
- Make cards or write letters - for kids in hospitals, troops and veterans, or senior citizens in local nursing homes.
- Help build KaBOOM!’s Map of Play! Find, add, rate, and review playgrounds in your community. Take the Playground Challenge: Take pictures of playgrounds and win gift cards in their biweekly sweepstakes for toys, shoes, ice cream, and more.
- Help prepare your family for a disaster – and make sure your neighbors are ready too!
Like this page? Tell your friends:
Rachel Phillips commented 2013-04-24 13:39:06 -0400
Great ideas! Thank you!